Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Listen to the apples






Sometimes you read something that  takes hold of you .. makes you stop and really think for a moment...and after you read it you realize just how true every single word is.  I found this particular quote to be one of those beautiful moments..I have recently seen it in quite a few places and wanted to share it with you here . 


“Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that, and living alone won’t either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You have to love. You have to feel. It is the reason you are here on earth. You are here to risk your heart. You are here to be swallowed up. And when it happens that you are broken, or betrayed, or left, or hurt, or death brushes near, let yourself sit by an apple tree and listen to the apples falling all around you in heaps, wasting their sweetness. Tell yourself you tasted as many as you could.”~ Louise Erdrich, The Painted Drum


I would love to hear what quotes have enlightened you , made you see things more clearly .. captured your heart and hasn't let go .

2 comments:

  1. About two weeks ago a dear friend of mine in Canada lost her mother. I recently finished reading "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield, and one sentence especially spoke to me, as I have my friend's sorrow on my mind:

    "We all have our sorrows, and although the exact delineaments, the weight and the dimensions of grief are different for everyone, the colour of grief is common to us all.” (p. 435)

    That quote has lately affected me quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I realize I have fallen behind with posting, but I did want to write regarding this subject - I just finished Liz Lamoreaux's POEM IT OUT online course and I have found poets like Mary Oliver, Rumi and others that I just adore ... Poetry will continue to be a large part of my life ... I have always loved the written word, but poetry adds a whole new dimension!
    Loving your blog!
    ~Kristine

    ReplyDelete